From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 20:36:13 -0500
>Dan Fridgen for coach of the year, his kiddicorp is getting it done, for
>those of you who compare, and there have been a lot of you!, the current
>coach has had more success his first three years than the previous one did.

An ECAC championship, a quarterfinal playoff team (with not too many seniors
left), and tied for first with 6 games left - not too bad.

Fridgen, Stan Moore (Union) and Don Cahoon (Princeton) have my top
three votes so far. No particular order, of course.

>A Union/Rpi 2 of 3 is looking like another possibility.

Don't get me started....  :-)

If they were to meet in the playoffs this year, I'd venture to guess it would
be a bit more heated. Union is just dying to beat RPI in a 3-game series and
RPI has just had Union's number. That would be fun.

>This is the year Trevor Koenig deserves First team ECAC honors, only goalie
>in the country with glamorous stats not on a powerhouse, Tim Thomas or Dan
>Murphy could have an off night and their teams will still win, not Trevor.

Trevor has been outstanding. He seemed to get a little burnt out when
Union played at Brown last month. Thus, Leeor Shtrom got the starts
against RPI. Trevor came back last weekend, only to make 40 saves
against Clarkson and 34 against SLU. Looks like it's Trevor down the
stretch for Union.

>Local Times Union coverage is poorer than ever, bring back the college hockey
>icon, Keith Marder, (you can see Keith at ther LA Daily News Site on AOL),
> Mark Singlais and Buzz Gray are good writers but their editor needs to give
>them some space.

It was somehwat disappointing to see RPI lose soundly to Clarkson and
get a front page article, while Union wins and gets 2 short paragraphs
on page 4 of the Sports section. No offense to Engineers or thier fans,
of course. This just doesn't seem quite right.

Although, the TU gave Clarkson the front page coverage in both Saturday's
AND Sunday's paper. Maybe the TU realizes the region is full of Clarkson
alumni. But, why wouldn't they give better Clarkson coverage, in general.
The TU's college hockey equal, unbiased coverage of Union and RPI has been
inconsistent at best. I'm awaiting a reply from the Sports Editor.   ;-)

>Fox23 TV in Albany gives all the league scores and standings, easily
>outdistancing the "big three" in coverage.

Clearly....

Here's to a great finish in the ECAC!!!

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam '93