Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 11:54:30 -0600
Karen/Greg Ambrose wrote:

> I watched the last period and a half of the Michigan/MSU game last night.
> It was the first time I had seen Michigan play this year (they are beamed
> into Boston via Sportschannel).  While I respect them greatly, they do have
> a lot of big, fast skaters after all, they seemed to be off their game last
> night.  How is this so, playing their arch rivals in front of a really
> packed, big house?  I know they're a lock to get a bye in the West
> Regional, regardless of what they do the rest of the way, but they should
> have played with a little more motivation I think.  Perhaps MSU played a
> good defensive game, Ron Mason is a pretty good coach after all?
>
> I'd like to get some thoughts from anyone who attended the game.  Watching
> them gave this UNH fan a little bit of hope.

I, too, didn't get to see the game in person, but I did watch a good bit
of it tonight on a rebroadcast.  The perceptions of them not playing
well are accurate.  But this has been my feeling all year, from my trip
to Ann Arbor in the fall, to whatever games have been on TV as well as
talking to some locals.  I really don't think Michigan has gotten on top
of it's game for any extended period this year.  Even with a 25-2-3
record, I haven't seen them play any game where they truly looked
unbeatable.

I'm of two minds about this as tournament time rolls around.  They way
they are playing right now, I'd have a hard time picking them to repeat.
 Assuming they get a bye, they'd have to win three games, and I really
think some other team in that stretch would put it all together and send
them home.

HOWEVER - they've put together that gaudy record despite mailing it in
regularly.  If Red Berenson can find the hook to get them revved up, the
way he did after the disaster at the Soo last year, Michigan may be
unbeatable.  When Muckalt comes back, the Wolverines will have a
collection of pieces that no one in the country can match.  If they can
put them all together, it's probably lights out for everyone else.

Right now, my money is on it not coming together and I expect Michigan
to be a semi-final loser.  Ask again in a month and I may have changed
my mind.

J. Michael Neal