Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 06:47:36 -0600
Mark Jastorff wrote:

> I suppose we should take offense  to the `Notre Dame of hockey' quote,
> assuming
> that the implication is that reputation has had anything to do with
> LSSU's success...let me
> check the record books and see if the reputation is real or imagine
> Rob, oon Mark's computer.
>
> NCAA Champions 1988  1992  1994
> CCHA Co-Champions 1996
> NCAA Quarterfinalist 10 years running
>
> The System Works
> Superior Legacy: From Fort to Future  1946 - 1996

This is exactly what people mean by living on a reputation.  How well a
team did in previous seasons ought to have little to do with poll
rankings this late in the season.  Lake State has a decent record this
year, but it has one glaring whole in it.  The last time I checked the
breakdown on the Pairwise Rankings, I saw that their record against
teams under consideration (i.e. at or over .500) was 2-9-2.  That
doesn't strike me as the sign of a top team.  Right now, the Lakers are
going to have to struggle to make the tournament this year.

J. Michael Neal