From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1991 10:21:50 EST
It was quite a weekend for the ECAC's Road Warriors, as Clarkson's loss to
St. Lawrence ended their home unbeaten streak at 28 (during which the Golden
Knights went 27-0-1), and Princeton managed to double their victory total
this season with a pair of wins at Notre Dame.  Clarkson's loss to the
Saints means that neither team in this rivalry has beaten the other in front
of the home folks since the ECAC quarterfinal series between these two in
1990.

Results from the weekend:

Friday, December 13:
     St. Lawrence 4, CLARKSON 3
     Princeton 5, NOTRE DAME 4

Saturday, December 14:
     Princeton 6, NOTRE DAME 4

ECAC standings as of 12/16/91:

                   League                       Overall
Team             W   L   T  Pts   GF   GA     W   L   T  Pts   GF   GA
Yale             6   0   1   13   39   25     6   0   1   13   39   25
St. Lawrence     6   1   0   12   41   24     8   3   1   17   70   46
Clarkson         6   1   0   12   38   19    10   2   0   20   67   34
Harvard          4   1   2   10   34   18     4   1   2   10   34   18
Brown            3   3   1    7   29   31     3   4   1    7   34   40
Cornell          2   2   2    6   18   17     2   4   2    6   22   25
Princeton        2   6   0    4   33   37     4   6   0    8   44   45
Vermont          2   4   0    4   21   27     5   5   0   10   42   35
Dartmouth        1   3   0    2   10   29     1   4   0    2   12   32
Colgate          1   3   0    2   16   24     1   6   1    3   28   43
RPI              1   5   0    2   14   28     5   6   0   10   40   50
Union            0   5   0    0   12   26     1   6   0    2   28   38

I thought I'd give your eyeballs a rest by not doing my usual lengthy
summaries (especially since Cornell didn't play last weekend).  Brian
Farenell asked me to post his summary of the St. Lawrence - Clarkson game,
so here it is:

----------

ST LAWRENCE at CLARKSON; 12/13/91

ECAC GAME        1  2    3    T
St Lawrence Saints  2    2    0    4
Clarkson Golden Knights  1    1    1    3

SHOTS on GOAL
St Lawrence    14-10-6   =30
Clarkson  11-13-13 =37

GOALIES
Spagnoletti, SLU
Rogles, CU

POWER PLAYS
SLU  2 for 5
Clarkson 0 for 7 (!!!!)

ATTENDANCE- 3615    (seating capacity-3000)

OFFICIALS- Ref Harry Ammian, Linemen John Murnane and Joseph Kelly

SCORING
8:11-1st  SLU  Albert (8)     from Wells and Beattie
14:27-1st CU   Marchant (6)   from Theriault
16:33-1st SLU  Dent (1)  from McGeough

9:31-2nd  SLU  M.LaCroix (11)      from M.Lappin, E.LaCroix [PPG]
18:38-2nd CU   Thomas (5)     unassisted
19:40-2nd SLU  E.LaCroix (6)  from LaPerriere and M.Lappin [GWG,PPG]

5:15-3rd  CU   Thomas 2(6)    from Dubinsky

ANALYSIS
1ST PERIOD
Both teams skated well early but Clarkson was haunted by 2 key saves
early by SLU goalie Spagnoletti. This seemed to let the air out of their
attack. After SLU's first goal, the Saints totally dominated play. They
were skating much better than the Knights and were basically outplaying
in every aspect of the game.

2ND PERIOD
Much like last Sat.'s win against RPI, Clarkson had a terrible time
clearing the zone against SLU's point men, who acquitted themselves
qutie nicely. The main difference in the two teams was that SLU
really controlled the play in the Clarkson zone but Clarkson's offense
could usually only get one shot on Spagnoletti before SLU regained
control. Clarkson got a lucky break when LaPerriere turned it over to
the forechecking Thomas who then put one past Spagnoletti. But SLU
came right back 1:02 later as Eric LaCroix blasted a centering pass from
the slot past a helpless Rogles.

3RD PERIOD
was totally the antithesis of the 1st and 2nd. Thomas' second
goal of the game really revived the listless crowd and did the same
for the Knights. They really outworked and dominated play as SLU
seemed content to just dump it out of their zone when getting
control. They weren't skating at all in the third. Clarkson had
several opportunities as they hit the post 3 times (2 by Hugo Belanger)
and Ed Sabo missed 3 empty nets. One of which he received a pass while
Spagnoletti was down and instead of shooting it immediately, he tried
to wrestle himself free of the defenseman and the puck just
trickled to Spagnoletti who covered up. Clarkson's task was made more
difficult when Guy Sanderson was given a tripping minor with 2:55
left (and was given a game misconduct). SLU did nothing on the powerplay
and with 0:43 left was given a too many men penalty. Clarkson forced
Spagnoletti to make several good saves and with 0:11 left Clarkson was
called for an intentional off sides. I thought that Tuomainen was skating
back to the blueline and was almost there when a teammate passed to him
but the linesman saw it differently. With the faceoff now down in
front of Rogles instead of just outside the SLU zone, Clarkson's task
was almost impossible and SLU held on for the 4-3 win snapping Clarkson's
29 (?) game home unbeaten streak.

NOTES
Clarkson fell into the trap that it has so often before this season, they
only played well for one period. They did the same thing in the BC, UVM
and RPI games but got away with it, but tonight their luck ran out. They
have to learn to play 60 minutes of hockey if they want toavoid this
situation again...despite his turnover to Thomas, LaPerriere and
played quite well in the game, as did SLU's other defensemen. Especially
at keeping the puck in the zone...Clarkson coach Mark Morris was burned
once again for going out of rotation. According tohis rotation, it
was Jason Currie's turn to start in goal but Morris decided to go
with Rogles. Morris broke his rotation twice last season, and lost
both times (in all fairness to Rogles, he had little chance on 3 of the
goals)...I was kind of disappointed in some of the fans I talked to after
the game. They were all making excuses about how CU was missing 3 players
and how we hit 3 posts and all kinds of other excuses. Few, if any,
mentioned the real reasons we lost: we only played 20 minutes of good
hockey; and Spagnoletti stood on his head for those 20 minutes. In all
fairness, Spagnoletti was unequivicobly (sp?) the player of the game...
Clarkson's next (non-exhibition) game comes against Ohio St. in the Syracuse
Tournament
while (I believe) SLU's next action will be in the Dexter Tournament...
No other scores to report as this was the only ECAC action of the
weekend

[end of Brian's message]

Once again, this week's ECAC schedule is an abbreviated one.  After
Christmas, several ECAC teams will be involved in tournaments, but there
will be no more league games until January 3 (except for the first-round RPI
Invitational game between RPI and Union, which will count in the league
standings).  Games this week:

Dec. 18
     Princeton at Northeastern (NC)

Dec. 19
     Colgate at Mercyhurst (NC)

Dec. 20
     Dartmouth at Boston University (NC)
     Yaroslavl (Soviet Army) at Vermont (NC)

Dec. 21
     Yaroslavl (Soviet Army) at St. Lawrence (NC)
--
Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and probably '94        |  [log in to unmask]