From:
Howard Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 14:54:15 -0500
>  A UNH coach saw this fan leaning over
> the runway wall yelling at Nickalus and the coach threw a fit. The fan
> had returned to his seat by the time the cops arrived and the police had
> a real hard time being sure they had the right man once the coach
> had pointed him out. You see, the man looked terribly meek and
> innocent. It was quite hilarious watching the cops expression as
> they realized they indeed had the right man. They must have asked
> the coach three times "Are you sure its THIS guy?". This coach
> was incredibly irate and I feel he terribly over-reacted. Quite a
> hot-head!

The "meek" fan apparently threw something (The general concensus was that it
was a soda) at UNH Asst. Coach Chris Serino when Serino was leaving the ice
with UNH's Dan Enders.  It was Enders, not Nikulas who was tossed at this
point.  If it went as Paul reported and Serino was reacting to the yelling, it
would be an excessive reaction.  But we all agree that there's no excuse for
throwing objects on the ice (unless it's one fish ;) and absolutely no excuse
for throwing objects at players or coaches.  The disappointing thing is that
the guy got tossed...with his young son in tow!

And on the "Dick Umile Scale for Hot-Heads", Chris is only ranks about a 4.

> The same coach who flipped out after during the Friday game pulled the same
> thing after the game while the teams were shaking hands.

Now *that* was Umile!  Not Serino.  :)

The crowd and Umile were upset at the final calls in the game -- all in favor
of Lowell.  UNH was down by one with about 6 minutes left.  Play continued and
Lowell was in the UNH end applying some pressure.  Mark Mowers gloved a loose
puck and threw it out of the zone and drew the whistle for closing his hand on
the puck.  After the whistle, Mowers was leveled by a Lowell player and AR
Doyle looked right at it but failed to make the call.  That would have put UNH
on the power play down by one and it was an opportunity that UNH needed, never
mind that it was a blatant hit after the whistle.  This call came after Lowell
scoring with a player clearly in the crease that the officials let stand.
Next thing you know, UNH is down two men on what I consider to be an awful
delay of game call.  Yes, the play was in the UNH end, but Fitzgerald was
knocked by a Lowell player as he was in the process of clearing the puck with
his hand and that caused the puck to leave the ice.  I just couldn't believe
that the officials made that series of calls that had UNH down two men when
they should have been on the power play.  The officials were horrible in this
game!!

Don't get me wrong, the officials didn't lose this game for UNH and I'm not
blaming them.  You can't spot a team a 4 goal lead and expect to come back
(unless that team is Wisconsin) but they clearly failed to call the penalties
that should have been called.  Umile was upset, and rightly so, at Doyle who
in the past has been horrible at the Whittemore Center, failed to call any of
the stuff behind the play as the AR should, failed to call the late hit on
Mowers, and missed off-side after off-side becuase he could never make it to
the blue line.  Umile was in rare form, though!  :)

  \_  \_  \_     Howard M. Quimby                [log in to unmask]
  \_\_\_  \_     Natural Intelligence, Inc.      Tel (617) 876-7680 x1208
  \_ \__  \_     Cambridge, MA                   Fax (617) 492-7425