From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 07:24:15 -0900
Rowe, Thomas wrote:

> It was likely posted and I deleted it, but I really don't recall seeing
> anything posted on Miami's two losses this last week.  I had them up to
> 4th in my poll and rising - what happened?  Was there a reason for these
> losses or was it just one of those things?  I suppose that will be at
> least partially answered at Michigan this weekend, but I was wondering.

1. Lost to Lake Superior on the road
   has two wins against them at home
2. Lost to Ferris State on the road
   has one win against Ferris State at home
3. Not quite as solid goaltending
   Prior 27 of 32 Friday (.844)
   Prior 21 of 26 Saturday (.807)
   He's at 2.55 GAA and .900 Save % for year
4. Looking ahead to games with Michigan?
5. Team already reached peak?

Miami has played at a peak almost all season and in some respects have
not been taken seriously until now.  Lord and Prior have been tremendous
in the nets and the team has demonstrated very little weakness in any
area.

The problem right now, Lake Superior has come on strong and been
improving, as has most all of the other teams in the CCHA.  Miami has
played so well I don't know how much better they can get.  Moreover,
everyone knows now how good a team they are.  There probably won't be
any more surprises.  Every team now will be trying to play their best
hockey.

Miam is a very good team and compared very favorably to Michigan in
October when both played in Fairbanks, but now they have to go into Yost
this weekend for two games.  If any team can get a win there, it may be
Miami, but I have a feeling the Wolverines may be ready.

They also have a third game with Michigan to close out the season, plus
two with Michigan State, a pair with possibly revived Bowling Green, and
one each with Western Michigan, Ferris State, and Ohio State.

All of them could be tough games including the last three.  The Ferris
game is on the road again.  In fact, five of the next six are on the
road which makes a stretch from December 27 to February 15 with 12 of 14
games on the road.  They finish with four games at home.

If they can come through this stretch solidly, they will be a well
tested and well prepared team for postseason play.  Don't count them
out, but they may have peaked.

I personally wish them the best.

Eric