From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:23:39 -0500
On the weekend:
      My predictions were pretty accurate. I knew BC and Lowell would show that
HockeyEast had more parity than most expected. I also knew that Maine would
sweep. That team is on fire. That will help those who have finished their series
with Maine. ( read Lowell and BC )

Standings:
      UNH and B.U. have big leads but haven't wrapped up anything yet. B.U.
hasn't played Maine or Lowell yet and still has a game with UNH. B.U. probably
has one of the tougher HockeyEast schedules remaining (with Prov. having one as
tough). UNH has three games to play with Providence and one against everyone
else. These two teams should finish 1-2, but not with the big leads they have
now.

      Maine may very well overtake Lowell soon, but don't count out the
Riverhawks yet. The incredulous notion of Lowell finishing with the third-place
playoff spot is becoming more and more of a reality as they open up a three-point
lead over the nearest eligible competition in Providence and B.C..   Maine's
predicted role of spoiler is clearly becoming the reality. B.U.'s and Amherst's
current positions are precarious due to their three games each with Maine left to
play.

      Amherst has vaulted into the race, now only a point back of both Prov. and
B.C.. They've opened up a five-point lead over Merrimack although Merrimack has
two games in hand over the rest of the league.

      Northeastern is not going anywhere, so it seems.