From:
Siren Chudgar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 15:33:10 -0500
On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Nathan wrote:

> Laura Phelps wrote:
>                                                                     Second, if
> >you pay attention, you should notice that whenever the student section begins
> >one of its more inappropriate cheers, the pep band will (almost always) start
> >playing to try and drown out the cheer along with its inappropriate language.
> >This may have relaxed in the last few years, but when I was there, we were
> >told by the arena director that it was our job to play when the swearing
> >started.
> >

> I can't speak for the Clarkson Pep Band's actions at Cheel, since
> for some reason, the SLU administration won't let us travel to Clarkson
> for a game, but that's a long story which I won't get into.  However, I
> can speak for the behavior of the Clarkson Pep Band when they came into
> Appleton this year.  Frankly, I was disgusted by what I saw and heard.
> First of all, they showed no respect for the SLU Pep Band.  There were
> numerous times when we would start to play, and they decided that they
> would just start playing and trying to drown us out.  The usual
> procedure that we follow is that the bands take turns playing during
> the spots when the puck is not in play.  We showed them that courtesy,
> but it wasn't returned to us.  Secondly, the Clarkson band STARTED many
> obnoxious and vulgar cheers themselves, much to the delight of the other
> Clarkson fans attending the game, who chimed in with the band.  The
> Clarkson band got so out of hand, that they had to be asked by the
> Appleton arena staff to tone it down or they would be kicked out.  And
> how about that "RPI Sucks -- SLU Swallows" T-shirt -- that was really
> classy (extreme sarcasm).
>   I should also comment by saying that yes, there were some SLU fans
> who got out of hand, but the vast majority showed respect for those
> around them and contributed to many positive cheers.
>   I have also had occasion to see other pep bands in the ECAC.  The
> Cornell band is notorious for its chants and cheers, but they have
> never gotten really vulgar when they came to Appleton.  They also were
> civil, friendly, and showed courtesy when our band was playing.
>   I saw the RPI band at Houston Field House this year, and they were
> perhaps one of the most positive bands that I have seen around.  They
> only initiated positive motivational cheers and used no profanity, as
> far as I could tell.
>   In my opinion, the purpose of the pep band is to get the crowd further
> into the game and to motivate their team.  Pep bands shouldn't be used
> to ridicule opposing fans and subject them to disgusting, juvenile
> behavior.
>

>                     ___
>                    /=|====\     Nathan Mastro '98
>                   (  | ===      St. Lawrence University
>                    \=|==|=\     Co-President--Saints Pep Band
>                      |     )    http://it.stlawu.edu/~nmastro
>                     =========

As the newest Alumni from Clarkson and a avid hockey fan (not a band
member), but one of the many vocal students, I would like to add my .02.

Laura, was right on target with our band.  The Clarkson band DOES NOT
throw objects or food,, etc..to anyone.  They are also told to play over
many vulgar chants that myself and other students start in cheel.  Even
if we say BOAT - SHIP the band will play over us.  I have been hit with
food by Cornell fans and pep band both in cheel and in lynah.  I have had
water dumped on me by a older women at Gutterson two years ago.  And you
think that Clarkson fans are bad.  Many times I have not swore at hockey
games because there were requests to tone it down, which we did.  At St.
Lawrence, I have been chased out of the arena all four years, granted
that we won 3 of those 4 in the regular season :).  Just because I was
loudly cheering on my team in appleton and chanting "8 in a row"
clarksons eighth consecutive win over SLU caused me and many other
Clarkson fans to be escorted to our cars by security due to the large
masses of SLU students who wanted to fight with us.  Clarkson fans have
had their vehicles damaged when they make the short trip to Appleton
Arena.  Granted, Clarkson fans and also the band are not the cleanest in
the world, at least we dont' throw objects or steal other schools flag.
Princeton fans decided to steal and subsequently chop up the Clarkson
flag last year in NJ.  Also, as for the incidence that Nathan mentions
about us playing over slu's band.  This was at the time that slu still
did not have a real pep band and had an accordian for their major band.
Also, I remember distinctly, SLU's band playing three times in a row at
that game, becaue the band director and I were going to do a new cheer
that involved the band, and we couldn't get it =off becuae SLU's band
wouldn't stop playing.  After that, our band director said the heck with
it and played every time out.  Emotions get high for SLU/CU game.

Just my 0.02 and also to set the facts straight!

Siren Chudgar
Clarkson '96
SUNY Syracuse Medicine '00

LET'S GO TECH!!