From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 10:46:35 -0500
>>> Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]> 12/06/96 01:06am >>>
>>> NU kept pressuring, and had a power play chance late in the period.
>>> It seemed they had an extra man on the ice, and guess what?  They
>>> did.  I counted 6 skaters (and a goalie) and the extra man must have
>>> been on the ice for 15-20 seconds before the referee finally called
>>> the penalty for too many men.  I don't think I have ever seen this
>>> blatant a case of too many men that went uncalled for so long.

Wynters (Asst. Ref.) made this call, didn't he? In my opinion, Cole was a
joke out there last night. The linesman weren't too hot either.

>>> Fillion got 45 saves, but it didn't seem like a spectacular night in any
>>> way, just solid.

I though Fillion was superb! The three goals were all products of a sharp
Northeastern power play. Each one coming off a play where the scorer
had Fillion down and out or out of position. Not Fillion's fault,  just good
offensive plays and poor defense. Over the rest of the night, Fillion was
great if not spectacular ... making tough saves on many more good
offensive chances. The third period especially, saw some flashy kick
saves and a few trademark glove hand grabs.

He made 42 saves and they certainly weren't from the red line.

>>> Northeastern took half the game to show up offensively, continuing
>>> a trend of slow starts that have handicapped the Huskies this year.
>>> They have a few good players but a lot of journeymen, and they
>>> don't have much defensive speed.  Robitaille also showed a few
>>> cracks early in the game, and he may be getting a little tired at this
>>> stage of the season (he plays virtually every game for NU.)  I think
>>> Lowell will continue to challenge in the middle of Hockey East, and it
>>> will take a while for Northeastern to rebound.

Northeastern was much better than I had expected. Thier power play
seemed crisp and fast. Lowell's looked pretty lathargic next to theirs.
Robitaille didn't impress me at all. I'll tell you who did, though. That
Schuwerk! What a hustler. Also, Peterson seems much more mature this
year. He always looked fast but weak and un-polished. However, he
had good puck-control and made some really good plays.

>>> UML's Ryan Golden went down with a leg injury (knee?) in the
>>> middle of the third period and limped off the ice with help.

This was in the defensive zone while Lowell was killing a penalty. Cole
stood over Golden while the puck was being contested behind the net.
He didn't blow his whistle. Then the puck came out and Northeastern
started working a 5-on-3 power play for a good 15 seconds ... all while
Cole stood over Golden. It wasn't until Lowell grabbed a rebound and
cleared that Cole blew his whistle. I thought this was preposterous and
yet just another obvious sign of Cole's poor officiating.

>>> A question for rules gurus:  UML was killing a penalty and sent the
>>> puck down the ice with 0:01 left on the penalty.  The puck was
>>> sliding through center ice when the penalty expired, and by the time
>>> the puck crossed the far red line the penalty was done.  Is this
>>> icing? (It was called icing at the game, and the UML player protested,
>>> saying he was still on the penalty-kill when he passed it down the
>>> ice.)

Whether or not this should have or shouldn't have .... the linesman took a
look at the clock right before he blew his whistle...indicating he probably
never considered the state of affairs when the puck was actually
cleared.

I thought it should have been waived off when it left the Lowell zone.

Final assessment. It was real good to see Lowell hang on to this one in
spite of all that's happened lately. I had hoped for a more convincing win
but I'll get my #1 wish Saturday night if they sweep in convincing
fashion.

I thing the whole Crowder thing will be much greater in Lowell. The fans
will likely make a big deal about it. Doesn't anyone go to Northeastern
games? You estimated 800, Rick ... but I think thats too high. I did notice
close to 50 Lowell fans applauding Lowell goals and I couldn't see any
balcony fans on the Lowell side because of my seats. (Big Thanks to
John MacKinnon!)

My Stars
#1 - Martin Fillion ( 42 saves )
#2 - Doug Nolan ( goal, assist )