Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 22:45:31 -0500
On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Jim Love wrote:

> side :-)  You obviously can't ignore the defensive side of things
> entirely, but teams that stress offense over defense CAN have success;
> witness UNH's current 10 game winning streak with CHODR's #1 Offense
> (5+ goals/game) but only #23 Defense.  Yes, you can/will get burned now

***This is why I asked the question...Being the UNH fan, I look at UNH
with a stunning 5.38 goals per game, but a disappointing 3.46 GAA***

   Shawn Walsh, formerly UMaine's head coach, said during the summer
sometime, "UNH is picking up a great goal-tender (Matile).  They aren't
going to be losing those 4-3 games anymore now that he's going there."
(Or something very similar to that,  I suppose it isn't a direct quote.)
But the goal tending is NOT what everyone expected it would be...The fact
of the matter right now is that UNH's goaltending is where it was last
year...NOW the OFFENSE has picked it up, a lot.

   I agree, that defense is the key to the game.  Your defense sets up
your plays, and helps DEFEND your lead (if winning).

  *** BUT ***...you cannot win a game without scoring a goal.

   I guess in the end, it doesn't matter much if the score is 8-6, or
8-2...All that really matters is if you can outscore your opponents,
which is ALWAYS going to be a COMBINATION of offense and defense...

Marcus

GO CATS!!!