From:
James Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:27:23 -0600
Ted Halm Writes:

>The problem with hockey is the awarding of two assists.  This has led to
>some >real loose interpretations, thus the fallicy of "if you touch the
>puck" you get >an assist.

At a Minnesota Gopher game last year there was a scrum along the boards
with the puck coming free, another struggle took place with one player from
each opposing team, the puck came free, in no way could either free pucks
be interpreted as a "passes", another gopher picked up the free puck, shot
and scored.  The result was two assists without control of the puck. If a
player from an opposing team had picked up the lose puck, shot the puck
down to the other end and scored, the result would be I imagine two assists
(provided this happened at a home rink).

This brings up the "problem" of some home rinks being more generous than
others giving assists. This is of course nothing new, but is anybody
keeping track?