From:
Joan M King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan M King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:11:59 -0600
At 10:01 AM 11/22/96 -0500, Doug Garn wrote:
>I always thought that assists were awarded to the last 1 or 2 players who
>TOUCHED the puck before someone scored a goal.  After looking at my 1996
>NCAA Rule Book I have to question this.
>
>From Rule 6, section 15, d.
>        an assist shall be credited to the player or players taking part
>        in the play preceding the goal
>
>If I'm interpreting this correctly, this could result in...
>
>        Player A passes to Player B, B passes to Player C,  C passes
>        back to B, B passes back to C, C shoots and scores
>
>Does this mean that both player A and B get assists?
>
>If yes, could players B and C pass back and forth 10 times and
>finally C scores,  Would Player A still get a assist?

I believe it also states somewhere that only the last two players who touch
the puck before the third player scores, can be awarded an assist, so I
would say that only player B gets an assist in your example.

Joan M. King
Post-Doctoral Research Associate
2312 Food Sciences Building
Iowa State University