From:
"J. Michael Neal" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 19:02:44 -0500
Jason Roy was asking about the Doug Woog situation, so let me post what I
know.  All of my information comes from public media outlets, primarily the
Minneaplois Star-Tribune.  For inside information, you'll have to find
someone else.

As far as I know, Woog is not being investigated again.  What is being
discussed is the report on the incident that came to light a few weeks ago.
 There are two things that this investigation has turned up that have drawn
some notice.

The first is that a number of people (the estimate is five) within the
athletic department knew of Woog's payment to Chris McAlpine some time ago
and did not report it to the administration.  They signed the same statements
about not knowing of any unreported violations that Woog did.  Bill Butters,
former assistant coach, is that only one of these people who I have seen
identified.

This raises some question about institutional control, a very touchy subject
around these parts after the Luther Darville scandal in the eighties.
 However, without any other violations coming to light, I doubt that anyone
will be severely disciplined.  I think that would be the right call, as long
as it is made clear that any further transgressions would be dealt with
harshly.

The other item uncovered is that Woog paid some of his players in cash when
they worked at his summer camp.  This is not an NCAA violation and is far
more likely to be a problem with tax authorities than anything else.  It has
been stated that Woog did this since the camp is in out-state Minnesota and
local stores wouldn't take Twin Cities checks.  Also, Woog supposedly
declared all of these payments on his tax forms (and one would hope that the
players did the same).  I have an easier time believing that this was
completely innocent than the McAlpine payment.  Nevertheless, Woog has been
forbidden from paying his employees in cash anymore.  Not a bad idea in
general, says I.

So, in all, the investigation hasn't turned up all that much wrongdoing.  The
Star-Tribune keeps the story alive, but I don't think it's going anywhere.  I
would defend them, though, on the grounds that anyone who was here when
Minnesota had big problems with violations eight years ago (and Woog was
here) ought to have the sense not to get involved in any sort of cash
payments to players.  Too much digging by the media is better than too little
in this case.

J. Michael Neal