From:
"J. Michael Neal" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 00:54:03 -0500
Josh Kleinblum wrote:

>  At 10:43, things got ugly.  I don't know how it started, but both teams
>  started fighting.  All over the ice, players were wrestling with each
other
>  and just going at it.  Turco skated out to center ice, and started yelling
>  at Alban.  Alban started skating out towards center ice, and it looked
like
>  the two goalie's were going to start fighting with each other, but the
>  ref's kept them apart.  There were six penalties handed out, including
four
>  DQ's, three penalties and two DQ's to each team.  Brad Hodgins and Richard
>  Keyes got DQ's for State, and Frescoln and Clark for the Wolverines.
 Alban
>  and Turco both got penalties, also.

It started when Justin Clark was cross-checked into the goal and then Keyes
began throwing haymakers at his head as he tried to get up.  This is another
case where Michigan got sucked into a fight that no one seemed able to stop.
 Keyes was punching anything that moved and, I thought, should have gotten
two or three seperate fighting calls.  He would get seperated from the melee
and simply use that as more room to wind up at someone.  Chris Frescoln
finally came in and popped him, netting his five.  I never saw Clark throw a
punch, but the camera spent plenty of time elsewhere.  All I can say is that
this fight was totally Richard Keyes doing; the league really ought to
lengthen his suspension.  Alban got his penalty for roughing behind the net;
Turco got his for unsportsmanlike conduct when he crossed the red line to
respond to Alban's challenge.  I'd like to see Alban get an additional two
for his part, but Marty can't say he wasn't warned.  Referee Shegos (who had
a horrible night all around) had only told him three times not to cross the
red line.

Anyone who thought Berenzweig should have played turtle last week should have
seen what Keyes was trying to do while Clark was defenseless.

>          At 9:46, a State player pushed Brendan Morrison into Alban, and
> Alban put
>  Morrison in a headlock.  Alban and Morrison were both given minors for
>  roughing.  I still don't get why Morrison got one, but then again, Shegas
>  (sp?) was terrible this game, and blew a lot of calls.

Morrison got his two for roughing in the scrap with Alban, which I supposed
he deserved.  What was uncalled was the trip that sent him into Alban in the
first place.

>          A couple of overall notes: Sloan spent a *lot* of time in the
> penalty box
>  today.  At the end of the second period, he was given a 10 minute game
>  misconduct.  I don't know what he did.  It didn't look like anything, but
>  he must have said something pretty bad.

He got the misconduct for complaining about the cross-checking call he'd just
picked up.  That set up the eighth MSU power play.  It was a call that I
would have made too, but it wasn't called the other way a couple of times,
either.  (Kind of like tripping calls on the goalie.)

>  About one minute after getting out
>  of the penalty box, he was back in again for a minor (hooking I think).
>  Michigan spent a *lot* of time on the penalty kill, and did an excellent
>  job on it, letting up one goal, but getting one shorthanded, too.

They went 10-11 on the penalty kill, evening the one up with Madden's third
short-hander of the year.

The game finished up with Tyler Harlton taking the requisite cheap shots
against Brendan Morrison.  He body-slammed him to the ice and since that
didn't get called, he gave him a fist to the face fifteen seconds later as
Morrison tried to bring the puck out of his own zone.  Granted, I've been
saying "I hate State" for sixteen years now, but I really thought they were
classless tonight.

J. Michael Neal