From:
Charles O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 11:51:20 -0500
        I disagree with those who have called the "ref thread" silly.
I didn't realize the widespread infamy of some of my least favored.
This is knowledge usually kept secret in the league office.  "Sunlight"
is therapeutic -- sort of like Massachusetts' new law on physicians' records
or the employment record of a prospective new employee.  Why are some of
these guys still wearing zebra shirts?  Let's give promising young
officials more opportunities.
        I am also glad to see the thread subtly shift to good refs and
agree with those who have mentioned Hearn.  Let me add a nominee -- Cerbo.
This man has almost always been right with the play and usually calls a
fair, sensible game.  I sense he has slipped a tad, but he's no youngster,
either.  Years ago he was often the best skater on the ice, beating the
winger by a foot or two on every rush.