From:
James Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1991 10:27:23 EST
This is the first time that I have submitted an article to hockey -l despite
being on it for over a year. I know this may get beaten to death but I must
make a few comments to Ross regarding the RPI band.

To start off, I will give credit where credit is due, in saying yes it was nice
to see a college band playing for the USA - Canada game, but as others have
pointed out where is the next closest hockey - band? I would say you had the
honor by default since everyone else is to far away, execept Union which is just
beginning to form a band. Secondly, just because anyone is on TV does not
 qualify
fy them as #1. I have seen lots of things on TV that I would not comment on
 being
ng number one in their respective subject matters.

To comment on another point by someone from Cornell, when was the last time you
guys took to the road. I think that is a real test. I mean when we walk into
Vermont to be shelled by snowballs, food, and such, and yet still take over the
arena I think this an indication. You might also Like to know about an article
that ran in the Vermont paper the year before our band was banned from bringing
instruments, which said Vermont should try to offer CU band members scholarships
to change sides. For three years we were banned from bringing in our instruments
because we gave a visiting team an unfair advantage. I think for the size of the
band that usually travels 40 or so, we stand tall aginst our opposition. Just a
ask the 3000 or so Lake Superior fans who know 25 or so of us very well. When a
band has 25 people with 25 police officers at their side because of their
impact that would be a definite indication of strength.

I don't mean to bore anyone wanting to strictly talk hockey, but I think you
should think before you lay claim to being #1. I cannot speak for Western
bands except possibly Minnesota, and other CU members who have played with
Mich. Tech. but this is the point. While yes you are good, I would not say that
one afternoon upseeds the #1 and #2 bands in the east.

Jim Rogers
CU 91, VP 90-91 Cu Pep Band
CU ?

PS Beth Weise, Yes I would have personally killed you if you had joined the band
   as well as tony doing so.