From:
Howard Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 12:59:45 -0500
Wayne Smith wrote:

> But how does that misdeed measure up to what he has done for his school and
> what he might be expected to do in the future?

I read this as "Walsh's mistakes are excusable because he brought Maine their
only National Championship and is the best hope of bringing home another."

That's not right!  Punishments should not in any way be tied to an
individual's past or potential accomplishments. That's what part of the
problem at Maine was -- Walsh *knew* he was too valuable to be punished and
acted accordingly.  If President Fred had any backbone, Walsh would have been
summarily dismissed.  And if Walsh knew he would be dismissed, he likely would
have acted differently.

That's why we're applauding UCLA.

H (Makin' friends in Maine by the minute this week :)

 Howard Quimby - [log in to unmask]             |\                ( )
 Natural Intelligence, Inc.            _________|_\_________________________
 Tel  617.876.7680 x1208                       -----              -_-_
 Fax  617.492.7425                                               -- - -