From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 16:40:06 -0500
Greetings -

   The college hockey content is in here, so please bear with me ....

   Several recent postings to HOCKEY-L have mentioned that they've been
intimidated (perhaps too strong a word) from posting/defending contro-
versial positions on the List because of the viciousness of personal
attacks they've subsequently endured, both on the List and in private
off-List e-mails.  No one deserves that kind of treatment, but perhaps
I have a thicker skin than most; none of the sarcastic innuendo that
I've received in response to my (infrequent) posts over the past 5+
years or so has struck me as mean-spirited enough to drive me off the
List .... It'll take quite a lot to drive me away this time too ....

   For now I'm going out on a limb again, although it's nothing more
that what I (and some others) have been voicing on the List for the
past year or so.  Flame me if you wish, but my asbestos suit is snugly
attached ....

   So what's the fuss ??  At breakfast this morning I open the Washington
"Post" - and am amazed to read about a species of college administrator
that I thought no longer existed: at last - a school president with the
conviction/fortitude to do the right thing .... I quote:

   "Jim Harrick, who two seasons ago led the UCLA men's basketball team
    to its FIRST NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP IN 20 YEARS, was *FIRED* yesterday for
    committing a recruiting violation in October, filing a false expense
    report with the University, and providing "mis-statements" to school
    officials during a subsequent investigation, University Chancellor
    Charles E. Young said." [emphasis mine]

   Note to Shawn Walsh: this is *NOT* 1 year of administrative leave.
   Note to Doug Woog: this is *NOT* a 2-game slap-on-the-wrist suspension.