From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Steve
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:50:00 PST
Adam makes a good point below.
The Internet is the place to go for coverage of college hockey, or anything
else the traditional media simply doesn't have the time or newshole to
cover.
If you're on this list, you have a computer, so why continue to be
frustrated by traditional media's inability to cover every single thing to
every single person's satisfaction?
That's the beauty of the Web: The information is there for the enjoying.
I spent most of my professional career in traditional media.
Sometimes you are fighting an attitude (the sports editor or sports director
is a "basketball" man or doesn't like hockey). Why do you think it took so
long for women's and girl's sports to find their rightful place in sports
sections? Because the sections were run by guys.
But most of the time, you're fighting legitimate content decisions based on
local coverage demands.
Why do most of us want more college hockey in the big papers or on ESPN?
Ego. We want OUR sport to be recognized as more important than it may really
be in the greater scheme of things, whether it's Boston or Chicago or even
East Lansing, Mich., where I worked for 10 years with one of the best
college hockey writers in the business, Neil Koepke.
In the greater scheme of things, do we REALLY believe that college hockey
deserves all that more coverage in the Boston Globe? That's really something
only the locals and students in the area can answer -- if they can put aside
their inherent bias of being a college hockey fan.
Let's be grateful for the new bounty of the Web.
I'm proud of what we do here at USA TODAY Online. We have taken an important
step in getting close-to-real-time scores on the Web through SportsTicker.
The CCHA and WCHA sites are terrific.
The team that is working on uscollegehockey.com is doing a great job.
If the Globe has other legitimate priorities, let's stop bashing them and
supplement our coverage and information from a number of sources.
By the way, I thought Kevin Dupont's feature on Bruce Crowder was terrific.
Now that's something you're still not getting on the Web -- yet!
Steve Klein
Of course, there's plenty of good coverage on-line these days, and it's for
reasons like this that on-line media has been created. Especially in hockey,
it
can fill a tremendous void.
Adam Wodon - AC Productions