From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 13:09:36 -0400
On 12 Jul 96 at 21:34, Ryan Robbins wrote:

> Will the NCAA give the report to Maine officials, who will then
> issue a press release and a press conference, regardless of the
> decision?

What will happen is the NCAA will probably call President Fred
Hutchinson and FedEx a letter to the university outlining the
decision.  The University will then make it public.  In Maine's case,
John Diamond will likely handle a press release.

The reason this is done I believe is to give the offending
institution time to decide on whether or not they want to appeal
before it is released to the press.

> in the local area. But it would be nice if the NCAA let the media
> and public know when the decision will be announced, rather than
> having the decision come down by surprise or worse, placed in the
> hands of the Maine administration to put a spin on any negative
> consequences.

Let's not be too alarmist here, the Maine admin could put whatever
spin they want on things, but the decision will speak for itself.
If they come down hard no amount of "spinning" will blind people to
the fact that the NCAA disagreed with Maine's positions.  If they add
very little, then the NCAA has shown that overall they agree what
Maine penalized themself was sufficent.

---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine