From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:16:11 EDT
greenie wrote:

> I really am looking forward to a good season for all of HE next year:

> BC and Providence should be stronger.

Especially BC.  They have what looks to be the top recruiting class in HE.
Providence, maybe.

> Maine will have the Walsh thing behind them (until the NCAA finds something
> new).

As long as Walsh comes back after Christmas and there are no further sanctions
hanging over their heads (two wicked big ifs), I see Maine as the number three
team in the East (after BU and Vermont) and could be a monster come playoff
time.

> Merrimack will hopefully figure out just what the hell happened last season.

This team bears watching.  They could definitely make the middle of the pack
and make a run at playoff home ice.

I've written about how high hopes are at Merrimack despite last year's
disappointing season so I won't rehash that.  If you want to read my article,
check out http://www.math.umn.edu/~urton/chockey/chockey.html and access
 "News and Articles".  It is the "Out of the Ashes" feature.

> Lowell will become BU's biggest HE rival.

Gotta disagree big time here.  Lowell is in HUGE trouble next year.  They
graduated a ton of talent last year and just had their top defenseman, Ed
Campbell, turn pro.  I might have had some hopes, as a Lowell fan, that
Bruce Crowder could have waved his magic wand like his did this past year, but
losing one of the top coaches in the country leaves the cupboard VERY bare.
I give them virtually no chance to be in the top half of HE.

> Prediction: Umass-Amherst surprises EVERYBODY, becoming the only team in
> Hockey East to win at least one game against every other team in the
> league.

I'll believe that when I see it.

> Northeastern has Bruce Crowder! (will it *really* help though?)

Talk about cupboards being bare!  NU graduated both goalies, McGillis, and
their top forwards.  Crowder will help *big time* eventually but I don't see
it happening next year.

> UNH... well, they've got that nice, new rink.

They've got some good recruits and if they can straighten out their D and
goaltending, they could be a very good team.

DaveH