From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 12:01:06 EDT
Crowder's expected success
--------------------------

I'll echo Mike's comments about Bruce Crowder's expected impact at
Northeastern.  Bruce will turn around the Northeastern program.  I have zero
doubts about that.

I don't expect much in the first year or two.  The team finished 10-21-5
overall and seventh in Hockey East and then went and graduated their top
players at all positions: *both* goalies, Mike "Bud" Veisor and Todd Reynolds,
Hobey candidate defenseman Dan "Dobie" McGillis, and forwards Jordan Shields,
Mike Collett, Danny Lupo, Craig Carmody, and Tomas Persson.  Goaltending is a
major question mark with only rarely used senior Kevin Noke and recruits Judd
Brackett (Harford Jr. Whalers) and Marc Robitaille (Gloucester Rangers).

I personally had Northeastern as a virtual lock on last place next year.
Even with Crowder, I can't see them finishing much above seventh.  But over
time he will have Northeastern near the top in Hockey East and in the NC$$s
(where he'll probably be sent to the Western Regional :-)  ).  There really
aren't any new, visible problems at Northeastern that he hasn't already faced
and overcome at Lowell.

For those who may still doubt, I'll wager that Northeastern is a Hockey East
power, a Top Ten team, and in the NC$$s within the next five years.  I might
even go down to four.  I'll be happy to take your money.  (Although I'd be a
lot happier if Crowder were still in Lowell.)

Walsh's influence on Crowder
----------------------------
Let me just add to what Deron has written about Crowder and Walsh.  Clearly,
if you're an assistant under one of the top coaches in college hockey, you
pay attention to what is making your boss successful.  (And although Walsh
has his detractors and has made shameful mistakes, he is a *great* coach.) Back
in 1993-4, when Lowell made its first run under Crowder (eventually making the
national quarterfinal game and losing an epic double overtime battle against
Minnesota), Walsh spoke at the UML Hockey Luncheon prior to the Lowell-Maine
games.  Here's what I wrote back then:

[Walsh] said, "In Maine, we started having luncheons, I see Bruce is doing
that here.  In Maine, we worked hard on our special teams, and I see that
the Chiefs are playing swarming, in-your-face penalty-killing and are number
one in Hockey East and the nation at it.  They're number four or five in
the nation with one of the deadliest powerplays around.  In Maine, we brought
in the best rookies in the country like Kariya.  You folks now have Bullock.
We had Dunham and Snow.  You have Roloson.  We beat BU.  Now you beat BU."

I don't think there's any question that Crowder learned a lot under Walsh.

Lowell's Future
---------------
I am depressed about the future of Lowell hockey.  This is no disrespect to
whoever replaces Bruce, but I have major concerns that UML will slide back
into a second-tier status within Hockey East.  It takes a very special coach
to elevate a program with the disadvantages inherent at Lowell.  Bruce was as
special as they get.  Odds are his replacement won't be.

I found especially disturbing the remarks from Lowell AD Dana Skinner, quoted
in the Lowell Sun (posted by Mike -- thanks).  Skinner said:

> "One of the realities of being in Lowell is that we've lost some real good
> (coaches) to Division One programs.  We're still a Division Two program
> with one Division One sport.  That's who we are and there's nothing we can
> do about that.
>
> "In the end, we just try to bring in the best people we can and hope they
> do the best job they can for as long as they're with us.  If they move on
> to broad-based Division One programs, we wish them well and thank them for
> their contributions."

A "Division Two program with one Division One sport?"  What is that supposed
to mean?  Yes, I know that UML is of Division 2 size, but a *Division 2
program*?  I highly doubt that Bruce Crowder viewed Lowell as a Division 2
program.  When RPI, a Division 2 school playing Division 1 hockey, won the
national championship ten or so years ago, did they view themselves as a
Division 2 program?  Is that how other D2-sized schools playing D1 hockey
view themselves.

Self-perception soon becomes self-performance.

Is this the first signal of a retreat?  Are hopes of a Hockey East
and national championship now gone, replaced with a "we'll do the best we can
but we'll know that we'll eventually lose our good people to The Big Time?"

Not that long ago it still looked like Lowell would be signing Crowder to a
very long-term contract and he would make Lowell a consistent national
powerhouse, despite its D2 size and its recruiting problems.  The new rink
was on its way, which was hoped to make recruiting easier and attract more
student fans.

Now it's almost like there is a resigned acceptance of being a second-tier
program.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into Skinner's comments.  But it's also possible
that Skinner is right, given what happened when Crowder's contract extension
hit the skids.  It may be that those higher than Skinner have decided that
enough is enough, we've overextended ourselves, now it's time to get back into
the comfort zone of a D2 mentality.

Sadly, I must now offer another wager.  Anyone want to wager that starting
three years from now Northeastern is gonna regularly finish higher than Lowell?
Northeastern is sounding motivated to be a national force.  Lowell is sounding
motivated to be second-tier.

Given the overachievements of the Lowell squad this year, their rise to
national prominence, and their sweep of BU that magical weekend in front of a
sardine-packed crowd, any retrenchment can only be a very bitter pill indeed
for Lowell fans.

DaveH