From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 08:37:17 -0400
Chris Dietrich posted the following Princeton recruits and question:

>Goal -     Craig Bradley,  Lawrenceville School

>Defense -  Dominique Auger, Gloucester Rangers, Central Jr HL
>           Darren Yopyk, Bonnyville Pontiacs, Alberta Jr HL
>           Chris Barber, Newmarket '87s, Provincial Jr A League
>           Peter Zavodny, St. Michael's Buzzers, Provincial Jr A League

>Forward -  J.P. Acosta, The Hotchkiss School
>           Brad Meridith, London Nationals Western Jr B League
>           Benoit Morin, Upper Canada College
>           Shane Campbell, Kindersley Klippers, Sask. Jr League

>Apparently Benoit Morin won't be eligible until his sophomore year.
>Does anyone (Geoff?) know why?

Morin had a brief Major Junior tryout, I believe (one or two games), that
cost him a season of eligibility -- Princeton has appealed to the NCAA, but
it isn't expected that the Tigers will have Morin's services next year.
Not that they really need another forward -- they only graduate one
(Jonathan Kelley), and they have J.P. O'Connor (senior) and Joey Pelle
(junior) coming back from one year hiatuses (in addition to the above-
mentioned recruits).

As I understand it, Auger is the prize of this class -- a former Central
Ontario Junior Hockey Leauge rookie of the year who is a great skater
and puckhandler. Yopyk is also highly regarded; a tough kid who handles
the puck well. Both Yopyk and Auger reportedly led all defensemen in their
respective leagues in scoring last year. Up front, Acosta is considered
to be most likely to help this season. He joins his older brother, Michael,
with the Tigers.

Princeton will certainly be deep up front and more skilled on defense,
but youth on the blueline and a big question mark in goal will make
things interesting. The loss of three-time team MVP James Konte in net
puts Erasmo Saltarelli, Nick Rankin and freshman Craig Bradley collectively
on the hot seat.

Geoff Howell
Drop the Puck Magazine