From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 18:54:18 EST
Ken wrote:

Of course there are several good NHL cities that do not support a
competative DI hockey program. New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh come
to mind. And there's at least one good D1 hockey city that can't support
the NHL :-).

---

And two of these cities, New York (Columbia) and Philly (Penn) have
obvious choices.  Which brings up what is likely a conincidence:
why is it that the two Ivy League schools without D1 hockey are
also the two in the largest cities?

And by quite a bit. Off the top of my head, I would rank
the Ivy cities by population (by SMSA, or just the metro area) like so:

Huge, dangerous, hideous places I'd rather vote for Pat Buchanan (or even
Pat Robertson) than live in:

1.  Columbia, New York
2.  Penn, Philadelphia

Middle-sized, dying, dirty, depressing Greyhound hubs:

3.  Yale, New Haven
4.  Brown, Providence

Small Birkenstock outlet stores:

5.  That place, Cambridge
6.  Princeton, Palo Alto East

Is that a town, or a ketchup stain on the map?

7.  The 1995-96 Ivy League Champion, Ithaca
8.  Dartmouth, Hangover

Maybe there is something to the argument that where there are other cultural
options hockey just does not do very well.  I mean, I love Ithaca and all,
but it would take an awful lot of persuading to get me to actually
buy a house there*.

Greg Berge
Let's Go Red!
* This is all just a shameless ploy to convince their law school to give me
a scholarship,  so let's hope there's nothing to the Reverse Woofing
Theory...  :-)