From:
"(No Name)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 13:08:14 EST
On 3/16, Deron Trweadwell wrote:

A very scary moment occurred late in the period.  UML defenseman David
Mayes
was skating in his own zone when he lost an edge and slammed head first
into
the boards.  It appeared to me that his head/neck did take the brunt of
the
hit.  The only thing the people in my party could think of was Travis Roy.
Mayes did lie motionless on the ice for a few seconds but began to move
and
got off the ice under his own power.  He would return after missing a
shift
or so.  A big collective sigh of relief.

On 3/17, Mike Machnik wrote:

* On a serious note, Lowell defenseman David Mayes apparently seriously
injured his neck against Maine Friday night when he went into the boards
head first.  Mayes, a senior who has played well this year, will be out
for
the rest of the season.  No other word on his condition.

---

I read in the Sunday Boston Globe that he, in fact, *broke his back* on
that play, yet he kept on playing.  Is this true?  Excuse my ignorance,
but how is this possible?  How could he have gotten up, skated off the
ice, then continued to play with a broken back?!?  A broken finger?
Maybe.  A sprained/strained back/neck, perhaps.  But, a broken back?  He
must have been in agony...not just skating either.  Taking & getting hits.
 Twisting & bending to shoot.  Wow.  Was the Globe incorrect perhaps?
Hmmm...

-Dave