From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1991 14:49:00 CST
Louie writes:

> Thought I'd report the sad news that "Badger" Bob Johnson died yesterday. He
> had been fighting cancer, I believe. Badger Bob not only, in my opinion, made
> Wisconsin's hockey program what it is today, but also did great things for
> all of hockey.

I'm so sorry to hear this.  Bob Johnson helped make the WCHA the competitive
league that it is.  Here in Minnesota, Badger Bob was the best rival we ever
had.  He was simultaneously infuriating and inspiring.  His Wisconsin teams
found much success in tournament play and brought honor to the WCHA, as well
as to all of college hockey.  His winning of the Stanley Cup last spring was
the crowning achievement of a glorious career.  I was proud to attend his
induction ceremony at the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame last September, an honor
that was accepted on his behalf by his son.  All of hockey will miss Badger
Bob, but we have been made richer by his presence among us.

-- Erik