From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 90 15:16:50 EDT
Please *do not reply to the HOCKEY-L list*, but directly to me if you
        ---------------------------------
have comments or objections:
                             or    [log in to unmask]

Note: NETNEWS will not replace the current LISTSERV list, but will
  simply augment it.  No action will be necessary for any HOCKEY-L
  member, no matter what is done.

Background:

  (I'm not a NETNEWS expert by any means, but here is a synopsis of what
  gating our HOCKEY-L discussion to NETNEWS means).

  NETNEWS is available on many networks.  Just because we put it onto
  (maine.maine.edu's) closest NETNEWS, doesn't mean it will get to
  *your* NETNEWS, though.  It depends whether the feed is picked up at
  all intervening nodes.

  NETNEWS has the advantage of widening the readership and participation
  of the College Hockey Discussion List.  NETNEWS (on BITNET) stores the
  files in one place for each installation.  (Your BITNET RDR does
  not fill up with HOCKEY-L postings).  Interested parties read postings
  as they see fit and may save articles of interest.  Replies and
  postings to the NETNEWS group get routed to HOCKEY-L and distributed
  as they do now.

  NETNEWS has the disadvantage of losing some control over the
  membership.  NETNEWS readers, as such, will not be "members of the
  group" as we have now.  NETNEWS readers are not notified of postings;
  they must enter a command to see if new postings are available.
  Postings "expire" at a rate determined by each NETNEWS installation;
  if you don't read a posting before it expires ...  sorry, you missed
  it!

I am pursuing this with the folks that gate LISTSERV discussions onto
NETNEWS.  They have lots of rules and regulations for setting this up.
(If you were a lawyer, you'd be proud!).

I there are *no* objections from this group and there are *no*
objections from the gateway folks and we are not required to get
permission from the existing "rec.sport.hockey" NETNEWS group, we *may*
start the gating to NETNEWS in a few weeks.

Finally, I reserve the right to arbitrarily terminate the gating of
HOCKEY-L to NETNEWS at any time.  We'll just have to see how things
work.  If things go as expected, it should help and expand HOCKEY-L.

Again, please do not reply to the list.  Send all comments, questions,
and objections directly to me:

Bitnet:    wts@maine
Internet:  [log in to unmask]

Wayne Smith, College Hockey Discussion List administrator