From:
Stephen E Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen E Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 10:32:49 EST
Eric Carlson asked:

>Now of course I want all our players available for this weekend and
>I understand allowing the player who has appealed to play.  But
>what about the other player?  If he has clearly failed in meeting
>the academic requirements for last semester and is not appealing,
>should he be playing? >

>On the other hand, we are expecting another player to regain his
>academic eligiblity after sitting out last semester.  Assuming he got
>his grades back up, is he not allowed to play this weekend because
>classes haven't started?  Or is he allowed to play because he made
>grades which were in a couple of weeks ago?

The general rule for both situations is that the player becomes
eligible (or ineligible) on the date his status is officially
certified by the institution.  For someone regaining eligibility, the
earliest date is one day after the last day of final exams.  For
someone losing eligibility, the latest date is the first day of
classes of the ensuing semester.

So, it is entirely possible -- and permissable -- for the players
losing eligibility to still play against MSU this week; or, it's
permissable for the other player regaining eligibility to play.  BUT
not both -- inso far as I understand the certification process.  I'm
more than willing to be corrected on this, but my understanding is
that  UAF can't be selective in certifying its athletes'
eligibility.  If they certify everyone right now, then the players
losing eligibility can't play.  If they don't certify until the
first day of classes, then the player regaining eligibility has to
wait until then.

P.S.  Good luck to the Nanooks from a member of the Class of '73!
Dr. Stephen E. Roth                [log in to unmask]
Dean of Student Services
Canisius College                            (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14226                 FAX (716) 888-3190