From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 19:41:18 -0900
Unless I missed it before, the subject has finally been raised about =
Maine in the polls.  I admit to being 1 of 3 who left Maine off my H-L =
poll ballot this week and I have privately discussed this with Glen =
Keeney.  I have very mixed emotions about leaving them off and appear to =
be in a small minority who have done so.   I haven't seen all the other =
polls yet, but it appears that may be true for them as well.  Both of =
the past 2 weeks I even mentioned where I would place Maine had I =
decided to include them in the ballot or if he decided that they would =
be included.  I do feel like it may be unfairly punishing the players =
who clearly have very little if anything to do with any of the =
infractions.  However, I also feel that in view of the school's decision =
to penalize themselves this season that it is better for me personally =
not to vote for them.  I can't dispute that they are and will probably =
remain a top-10 or better level team this season.  I also hope the =
players will take this as an incentive to play even better and I wish =
them the best the rest of the way, but I agree that it is a matter best =
left up to those who vote even though that leaves a lot of ground for =
argument.  For me if I was just rating the teams, I wouldn't leave Maine =
out, but I see the poll as somehow different in a way I can't clearly =
explain.

After two weeks of thought, as far as Maine's self-imposed penalties, I =
think Shawn Walsh has been penalized quite severely as he probably =
deserved to be.  At this point I think outright dismissal would be =
excessive.  If he is indeed reinstated, any further violation directly =
attributed to him that he knowingly makes definitely should result in =
his dismissal.  I don't see how there can be any more excuses or =
repeated violations without taking that action.  The only thing I might =
have done differently if I were making the decision at Maine would be to =
suspend him for all of next season not just for the calendar year.  I =
think the calendar year suspension actually minimizes the effect of the =
penalties on the school and him.  He will after all be back for the =
important part of next season.  The net penalty for Maine is that they =
won't be eligible for the tournament at the end of this year and they =
will be without the scholarships.  Losing their coach will hurt, but I =
think that will have a minimal effect despite my utmost admiration and =
respect for him as a coach.  Perhaps that is enough, but I would have =
preferred to see him out for the entire next season if he was indeed =
culpable for the violations.

Eric Carlson
UAF 1978