From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 18:40:50 -0900
While we're on the subject of ineligible players, a situation may be =
occurring at UAF in this weekend's series against MSU that I'm not sure =
how I feel about.  The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported this morning =
that 2 unnamed UAF players are facing eligiblity questions.  Coach Dave =
Laurion would not release names because one of the players is in the =
process of appealing..  According to the article, all players eligible =
last semester may play in this weekend's 3 game series regardless of =
their academic status from last semester.  No one will be declared =
ineligible until classes actually start later in the month.

Now of course I want all our players available for this weekend and I =
understand allowing the player who has appealed to play.  But what about =
the other player?  If he has clearly failed in meeting the academic =
requirements for last semester and is not appealing, should he be =
playing?  Does anyone know the exact rule in these circumstances?  I =
expect it's acceptable and I'd definitely like to see us at full =
strength, but it does trouble me.  It just doesn't seem like the right =
decision.

On the other hand, we are expecting another player to regain his =
academic eligiblity after sitting out last semester.  Assuming he got =
his grades back up, is he not allowed to play this weekend because =
classes haven't started?  Or is he allowed to play because he made =
grades which were in a couple of weeks ago?

Of course, I don't know the exact details, but does anyone care to =
comment about this situation?

Eric Carlson