From:
Princess Melanie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1991 19:34:04 -0900
Mike Machnik writes:

>Not only this, but I think there should be no relationship whatsoever
>between the conferences and the national tourney.  I don't even like the rule
>forcing the committee to award bids to the tourney champs, and I despise
>the new rule requiring at least two teams from each conference to be chosen,
>just as I didn't think the Independent bid was right.  The committee should
>be free to choose the *12 best teams in the country* regardless of conference
>affiliation, which would include the Independents. Independents which earn a
>spot among the top 12 should go.

Mike, I understand what you are saying, and for the most part agree, but:
1) who would decide who the best 12 teams were? 2) the idea is used in every
sport, but there is always someone who is going to disagree with the
selections.  3) what assurance would we have that the person(s) that select
won't be biased?

For example, I subscribe to Volleyball Monthly and there is always a list at
the end of the magazine with the list of the top 20 high school teams.  After
reading a couple months of the Letter to the Editor section, there are at the
minimum of two letters a month from an upset person because such and such a
team wasn't selected.  They didn't get anything from being in the list, so
don't you think that someone would be even more upset if they were 'robbed'
from the chance at the national title?

Don't flame me, just curious as to the possibilities of having a the
championship set up this way. :)

_____
Melanie J. Daniels                   AXMJD@ALASKA
CaTS User Consultant                 [log in to unmask]
University of Alaska Anchorage

Disclaimer:  Yeah, I have one.