From:
Charles Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1991 11:51:32 -0700
> From: Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Colgate appeals Greyerbiehl suspension
> To: Multiple recipients of list HOCKEY-L <[log in to unmask]>
>
> This is kind of an interesting story.  [ details deleted ]
>
> Joe Bertagna, the executive director of ECAC hockey, has said that there is
> not much precedent for a coach's appealing an official's decision to the
> AD's hockey committee, and he added that it is unlikely that a referee's
> judgment call would be reversed:  "There's no doubt in my mind Terry sent
> the kid just to talk....  But if it's a question of judgment, there's really
> not much precedent for overturning a referee's decision."
>
> I don't think the decision will be overturned either -- nor do I think it
> should be, whatever the circumstances were.
>
> From: Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Colgate appeals Greyerbiehl suspension
>
> I would also like to know how the referee could have interpreted Greyerbiehl's
> actions as leaving the bench during an altercation.  If penalties had
> already been handed out by the referee, then it sounds as if the altercation
> was over.  Thus, rule 6.28a no longer applies.  It doesn't sound to me like
> a judgment call, it sounds like an improper application of the rules, and
> that is something the executive committee should overturn.  But not having
> seen the incident, there's no way to know whether another altercation had
> broken out or what.
>
> - mike

I gotta side with bill here.  despite the apparent injustice, none of us
were THERE and officials should not be undermined.  Still, a vehicle for saving
face MIGHT be for the league to send the request to the official in question
asking for his opinion thus letting the official (if he wants to in retrospect)
have the option of asking or permitting the league to reverse his ruling.

charlie shub  [log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
  or even         (719) 593-3492