From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 10:30:24 -0500
Neal Joffee writes:
>Regarding Michigan and Minnesota, John Haeussler stated that: "...the
>general consensus among the Michigan section was that the Wolverines would
>win 7 of 10 if they played on a regular basis."
>
>Why?  What evidence to support this "consensus" can you present?

I have wanted to ask this question of all of the people on HOCKEY-L
who hassled John for writing this.

Why does John have to "present evidence of a consensus"?  He's saying
that the fans in his section felt this way.  First of all, why isn't
it possible that they felt this way, and second, even if they did,
does it really matter?  When the fans in John's section begin deciding
the outcome of games, then it might be time to start worrying about
what they think.  Otherwise, I have to think there are more important
things people can spend their time on than getting bent out of shape
over what John wrote.

And you know what...even if John said it was HIS opinion that Michigan
would win 7 of 10...so what!  I don't think there is any excuse at all
for the way in which people have reacted to his post.  Childish is the
first word I can think of to describe the whole thing.  Immature is
the second.

It would be one thing if people simply responded by trying to make a
case for why they think 7 of 10 wasn't a valid assessment of the way
the teams matched up.  But far too many people have clearly taken the
comment personally and responded with flames.  There is no excuse for
that.  It was not warranted.

>I don't recall Michigan being in the NCAA Final Four in the past few
>years?

I see a lot of mail coming down the pike on this one...in fact, in the
last four years, Michigan has been in the Final Four 3 times.
Minnesota has made it twice.  Oops...
Mike Machnik                 [log in to unmask]           [log in to unmask]
*****      Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page located at:        *****
***** http://www.tiac.net/users/machnik/MChockey/MChockey.html      *****