From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 1995 18:44:07 -0100
At 4:58 PM 11/6/95, Steven R. Glazewski wrote:
>Looking at the composite DIV-1 schedule, I see teams unaffiliated with any
>D-1 conference who play over 90% of their games as NI or EX games.  Which of
>these schools claim to be DIV-1 in men's ice hockey (and why?):
>
>Villanova, Connecticut, Fairfield, Canisius, Iona

Thanks to Steve Roth for adding Holy Cross and an explanation of these
schools' NCAA DivI classification.

Last season, I began including these teams in the DivI composite because I
thought it made sense to include all teams that were considered DivI by the
NCAA, to make it a true DivI composite.

I also hope that it will help people to become more aware of these
programs.  There has been talk of some of these teams and others trying to
form a new DivI conference on their own, too.  Unfortunately for them,
right now, they are the "outsiders" of college hockey - as Steve said, they
do not play enough DivI games to be able to qualify for the DivI tourney
(20), and by virtue of their classification, they are unable to play in the
DivII or DivIII tourneys too.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93