From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 10:55:58 EDT
Troy J Taylor (UNH) wrote:

> You can have your TOM POTI I've seen him play numerous times, must get
> caught up ice at least ten times a game, and is not physicall at all.
> I over heard the Might Ducks scout say he is the most overated player
> he's seen in some time, he went on to say he's not physical enough, and
> is a wing playing defense!

This is sheer nonsense.  Poti, at this point in time, is a man playing amongst
boys.  The only question regarding BU, is whether he will bypass college
altogether and go straight to the pros.  If he ever does play for BU, the odds
against him staying for four years would be long ones indeed.

Is he "wing playing defense" who "always gets caught up ice"?  These comments
are made about every offensive defenseman.   But are players like this highly
sought after?  Well, who was the top NHL pick this past year?  Brian Berard,
an offensive defenseman.  If a team has a defenseman who can go end-to-end
then they should take advantage of those skills and make sure that one of
the forwards covers.  Heck, we teach that to ten-year olds; it shouldn't be
impossible to get collegiate players to do it.

Is he "physical"?  Not all players are.  Different players bring different
things to the table.  I can't imagine the college team that wouldn't love to
have Poti, and that includes UNH.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson    "Robo"     [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!      Go Canucks! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!      Go BU!!         Go Maine! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*