From:
Kurt Jaeger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kurt Jaeger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 12:24:58 -0500
On Sep. 27, Kenneth Michael Baker wrote:

Prime should no longer do college hockey because half the affilates
(especially PASS) occasionally preempt these games for NHL and/or NBA games
forcing the games to always air tape-delayed.  They should also no longer do
college hockey because I feel they do not completely cover the scope of the
national scene.  I would like to see only the networks that will commit to
college hockey live coverage show the games.  Showing live college hockey will
further increase its popularity and viewers would probably be more interested in
the games.
While I agree with you about tape-delays, uneven coverage, and lack of
commitment, I don't think this means that PRIME should drop hockey altogether.
For some of us out in college hockey wasteland, the PRIME coverage is all we
get.  It's sure better than nothing!  Our goal should be to make the coverage
better, not eliminate it.

Also, I have a difficult time arguing that HTS, the local Washington, DC
affiliate, should pre-empt the (NHL) Capitals or (NBA) Bullets for a college
hockey game with less local interest.  While I would MUCH rather see the
Maine-BU game than the loosing Bullets, I have to admit that I'm in a minority
here.  They have a business to run after all.  Tape-delay seems like a very
reasonable compromise to me.

Kurt Jaeger,
RPI '81, '83