From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 90 21:04:12 EDT
Wayne says:
>Right now the most common problem is that when you post an article an
>article you (often) get a "duplicate posting" rejection notice back.
>This means that your posting was distributed normally, *then* a
>duplicate arrived back at hockey-l.  This duplicate was rejected back to
>you.  >>> just ignore it, please <<<

    Folks, I have been having the same problem that Rob and many
    others have been having, and here's what I would suggest you do
    so that you will know if your postings make it to the list:

    Send a message to [log in to unmask]  Make the subject line
    blank (I type several spaces; not sure if this is necessary).
    In the body of the message, type the following only:

        SET HOCKEY-L ACK

    and then send the message on its way.  This will set things up
    so that LISTSERV will send you an email acknowledgement every time
    you send something to the list, stating that your message was
    distributed.  You will still probably receive the duplicate
    posting error message (I do) and you probably won't get a copy
    of your article (I don't) - even if you have issued the SET HOCKEY-L
    REPRO command which is supposed to send you a copy (the default
    being no copy).  Again, as Wayne says they are working on this
    and everyone will have to be patient - but by issuing the command
    I gave above, you will at least know that your mail made the list.

    Also, if you like to keep copies of your articles around for
    posterity, you will of course need to "cc" yourself or else you may
    never see it again.  My startup file is set up for auto-cc which
    takes care of this.  Of course, that means I get copies of everything
    I ever mail, but I'd rather delete everything I don't want than send
    something off and then say, "@#$%! I forgot to cc myself!"  This
    goes for both hockey-l and work-related mail.

    Sorry to send out this non-hockey-related message, but I
    hope this will help everyone who's been experiencing problems to
    get through it until the fix is found.  Thanks again to Wayne
    and the people up there for their efforts.

    - mike