From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 13:15:04 -0500
I wrote while discussing various RPI vs AIC games the following:

> Back to AIC.  If there was ever a chance for AIC to beat RPI, it was
> on 2/5/66.  I have never seen a happier team (with the possible
> exception of the 1980 US Olympic team) than the AIC team which came
> away with a 6-1 victory.  Things went back to normal a year later with
> RPI beating AIC 7-0.

The score a year later was 6-3, not 7-0.  When looking through the RPI
Media Guide, I skipped  a year.  6-3 was the score in 66-67; 7-0 in
67-68.

On another topic, Mike Machnik wrote the following in response to my
mentioning Dick Greenlaw's 78-save effort vs BU.  Thanks to Mike for
the research into NC$$ save records.

> According to the 1989-90 College Hockey Record Manual, the ECAC Media Guide
> (a few years old) and the 1994-95 RPI Media Guide, Greenlaw made 78 saves
> in 1964-65, and on 2/20/65 by the RPI guide, BU beat RPI 8-0.

According to my copy of the 94-95 RPI Media Guide, Greenlaw's 78 saves
were in 65-66, on 12/14/65.  This agrees also with my memory.
Greenlaw was in the class of '68 and thus was an ineligible Freshman
on 2/20/65.  Bill Sack was probably in goal for that loss to BU.  The
score in the 12/14/65 game was BU 9 RPI 0 and thus BU had 87 shots on
goal.  I agree with Mike that it is unlikely that the 87 shots is a
record.

I suspect that the College Hockey Record Manual and the ECAC Media
Guide that Mike quoted are in error.  I would appreciate anyone who
could confirm that Greenlaw's 78 saves were in 65-66.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74