From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1991 14:30:05 GMT
Eric writes:
>now off.  (-:  In any case, I don't think Lane will have problems
>playing international hockey.  AFter all, I know it is more finesse, but
>are there tougher penalities for fighting?  Also, isn't LaFontaine's #
>19?  What will happen to MacDonald?

Lafontaine wears #16.  That is being worn by David Jensen right now.  Emma
wore #16 at BC and even had his number retired by BC - the only player for
whom BC has *ever* retired a number - but I presume Jensen got #16 because
of seniority.  Emma is wearing #10.  If Lafontaine does play, I don't know
what will happen with #16.  It is also possible that Jensen will not make
the cut.

BTW, when I talk about players who might not make the cut and include Lane,
I'm only trying to point out that this team is so *deep* at forward that
depending on what kind of players Peterson is looking for, you can make a
case for almost every forward making the team - or not making the team.
Even Emma has not been particularly impressive thus far.  I can only think
of a few forwards who I believe have wrapped up spots among the final 23.

In international hockey, like college, you are ejected for fighting.

As for Lane having problems playing international hockey, remember that he
went to Switzerland for that very reason - to get away from the NHL - but
he still suffered headaches from the physical play and was forced to hang
it up after half a season.  So it is possible for even international play
to be harmful to him.  My impression is that the problem with the headaches
has been solved, however, although I don't know to what extent.

>Who is the cap't of Team USA?

It varies from game to game, depending on who is dressing, and also I believe
that Peterson is moving the captaincy among several players even if they are
all dressing.  Clark Donatelli was THE captain at the BU game while several
other players like Emma and (I think) Fusco also had C's on their jerseys.

- mike