From:
Jeff Benensohn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Benensohn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 1995 15:55:49 -0600
Well I'm still mad.  I'm glad some of the games are being shown at all,
but I do not think we need to kiss E$PN's feet on this one.  We've been
screwed and we need to let them know.

1) Anyone who believes that E$PN's late return to the 3rd overtime was
   caused by "satellite problems" is a fool.  Let's see: have they
   been honest about it in the past?  Well, they didn't mention at the time
   that they were having technical problems.  Nor did they say they were
   showing us the 3rd OT on tape delay.  Oh, but now they say it was a
   technical problem.  Okay, gee... I believe you...  NOT!  This is the
   only way they can "spin" themselves out of this blunder.  Don't buy it.

2) Their decision to show the tennis match did NOT strike me as "staying
   with a live event in progress."  The tennis match was midway through
   the second set at 1pm, i.e. HALFWAY THROUGH IT'S REGULAR REQUIRED TIME.
   Obviously a decision was made to show this early-round tennis match
   with the knowledge that it would run over into the hockey game.  This
   last-minute decision to change their preannounced schedule was a huge
   insult to college hockey IMO, and it caused great inconvenience to those
   of us who don't get "the deuce" (and ESPN knows that's a lot of us).

3) How could they not tell us that we were watching a tape delay??  And if
   we're watching tape delay, why not show the whole thing??  There is only
   one possible answer: they were deliberately trying to mislead us.  Too
   bad that I could look at the clock and see that the teams had skated
   onto the ice 10 minutes ago.

4) I have no problems with E$PN switching during the intermission to some
   live event (golf in this case).  But what exactly was live about what we
   saw?  I counted approximately 6 putts shown live.  Then there were lots
   of highlights from tape and one interview (not clear if that was live).
   Sorry, but that "live" golf coverage that caused us to miss the winning
   goal was hardly worth anything.
  ----  -----  ----
Could someone please post the ESPN phone number?  I'd like to voice my
opinion to them and stop preaching to the choir now.
Probably the most fantastic college hockey game I've ever seen.  People
certainly looked at me funny when I went barging into the local sports bar
during lunch hour yesterday, looking extremely frazzled and upset,
asking if they get e$pn2 and telling them to get it on quick, quick, quick.
Luckily, they humored me.  Here's hoping I don't have to do the same thing
tomorrow afternoon.

Jeff.