Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 14:33:09 EST
Just a few random thoughts regarding the games at Worcester this weekend:

Did anyone else get the feeling that UNH was in for it when their band
started to play the National Anthem before the announcer asked everyone to
rise for the song?  And when the announcer announced "Not Yet!" after they
were about 15 seconds into the song did anyone else notice the table of
NC$$ officials turn collectively red with embarrassment?  (And the guy
skating with the UNH flag - what was up with that?  Was he just a terrible
skater or was the flag too big?)

I caught a puck!  I was sitting behind the visitor's goal and during the
second period of the DU-UNH game a Dave Klasnic shot was tipped into the
stands and clocked me in my side.  I was a bit dissappointed that the
pucks were "plain".  I expected some sort of NCAA logo or something.

Where were the DU fans for the second night?  They had a small but vocal
contigent for the UNH game but they seemed to have dissappeared for the
game versus Maine.  I hate to think that they showed such little faith in
their team as to haven't made plans to stay through the whole weekend!!

The Clarkson band rocked!!!

Although they had been playing good defense as of late, BU's defensive
effort was by far the best I'd seen from them all year.

What was with the starting times?  Was anyone else as perturbed as I was?
 The first night the announcer said that the games for Saturday night
would start at 4:30.  We thought this was a bit odd since the tickets said
5:00.  We arrived at the Centrum around 4:00 hoping to catch the warmups.
 Imagine our surprise when the puck was dropped then!!  A conspiracy to
keep the Maine fans away?  We were only slightly annoyed since we were
still there on time but a WHOLE LOT of people in my section were BULL when
they arrived later, expecting a 5:00 start.  (After all, that's what the
tickets said!)

Not much has been made this year about the fact the non-"bye" teams don't
have a day of rest.  (As opposed to previous years when there's been alot
of complaining - re: Lowell last year).  I've been told that the
"higher-ups" are reconsidering this format and might consider having an
off-day.  Clearly, in the east, the better two teams won, but I have to
think Denver looked a little weary.

The five or six minute stretch in the LSSU-BU game in the first period
that went without a stoppage was among the most exciting I've seen in a
game.  Great hitting, great skating.  During warmups for this game I had
the biggest pre-game jitters I've ever had for a game not involving
Lowell.  (To avoid angering any co-Hockey Easters, I won't reveal who I
was rooting HARD for!!)

I was impressed with the classiness of both losers Saturday.  There was
very little chippiness in both games and there was a lot of hugging
between losing and winning teams during the post-game handshakes.  Both DU
and LSSU gave nice salutes to their fans before leaving the ice.

I'm wondering if the next games might be anti-climatic for BU.  From their
first steps on the ice, it was apparent to me that they wanted this game
BADLY!  Jack Parker was quoted as saying that BU was more excited about
beating LSSU than making it to Providence?  Do we now see a Phinal Phour
let down?

I had doubted Parker for going with Noble against Lowell in the HE
semi-finals and then again against Lake State and both times he's proved
me wrong.  I've gained some new respect for Noble - he made some real
solid saves.  Who do we see next weekend?

Speaking of goalie changes - is it me or was Dick Umile in anouther world
Friday night?  Cavicchi was clearly shaky to me and I thought the switch
to Heinke was done a goal or two too late.  (Although the way UNH's
defense was playing, it may not have mattered).  And then going back to
Cavicchi?  After two, the game was over IMO.  I would've like to have seen
him stick with his senior (Heinke) to finish the season.

I felt a little bad for Eric Flinton of UNH.  He played a whale of a game
while alot of his teammates didn't show up.

    - Steve