From:
Ronald Correia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 18:50:03 -0500
   Much has been said on the list this week regarding the officiating in the
Hockey East Championship game.  As a *very* vocal PC fan, I would like to
express the following regarding this discussion.  First, it saddens me that
this discussion has drawn our attention away from the fact that an excellent
hockey game was played and viewed nationally.  Both Providence and BU played
superb hockey.  It was very entertaining, close fought, and tense right down
to the final face-off.  Both Providence and BU played well enough to win.
 The fact is, when the final horn sounded BU had one more goal on the board.
 My congratulations to BU on their winning the HE championship.  They
certainly fought hard for the win that evening and discussions on this list
should not diminish that effort.
   Whether or not I thought the officiating was good or bad is irrelevent.
 BU is the 1995 Hockey East Champion.  That is the fact.  They did NOT win
the championship because of any call or non-call in the course of a single
hockey game.  Providence was a bounce away from a tie game many times in the
third period.  We didn't capitalize on a number of chances and we find
ourselves watching the NC$$ regionals rather than participating.
   As to BU, I congratulate them and wish them well in the tournament.  To
the BU fans I would also congratulate them on the sportsmanship they showed
during the awards presentation.  When Providence was introduced as the
runners-up, the BU sections gave an excellent round applause. Tribute, I'm
sure, to the fine hockey game they witnessed and to the effort Providence has
put forth in the last three weeks.
   I look forward to the regionals in Worcester and the Finals in Providence.
 The Hockey East Championship series is behind us, and I hope the discussion
on officiating is behind us as well.  Let's look forward to an exciting NC$$
tourney.

-- Ron