From:
Gary Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 13:38:20 -0600
Since someone was wondering how Minnesota could get a higher seed given
that Wisconsin did better in both the WCHA reg. season and tournament,
I thought I would give it a run down.  MN wins the RPI .5613 to .5439
and we can see that WI is not within the magic .01.  However, suppose for
the sake of argument that WI were within .01 and tie-breakers were used.
As I have it, MN wins 3-2 without looking at RPI.  Here's the breakdown:
Head to Head:  MN wins 3-1,   2 points
Last 20:  WI wins 12-6-2 to 11-6-3,  1point
Teams under Cons:  WI wins 7-4 to 6-6, 1 point
Common Opps: MN wins 22-12-5 to 21-14-4, 1 point.

Note also that the final records of both teams are:
MN  23-13-5,
WI  23-14-4.

So even if SOS were not considered, only winning %, MN would come out
ahead.  Now poor Wisconsin must win two games before their home fans.
I'm filled with pity.

As for the WCHA Final Five:  I congratulate Wisconsin for a great
great job.  In my opinion, they out worked, out hustled and out skated
CC for most of the game.  Only Bach's performance kept it close.
On the Gophers:  All season long I've been waiting for the Gophers to
show some guts and heart.  This weekend, I saw it.  Maybe they will make
a run.

Gary Hatfield

"RAH! RAH! RAH! for SKI U MAH! RAH! RAH! RAH! RAH!
RAH! for the U of M!"