From:
Gary Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 1995 13:57:47 -0600
On Sun, 19 Mar 1995, Jayson Moy wrote:

> OK, I toss my hat in the ring and say "How about a new rule"
>
> Mind you this is not an NCAA rule, but a CCHA rule.
>
> How about a consolation game in the CCHA Final Four?
>
> I truly believe that if there was a Consolation game in the CCHA
> this year, and if BGSU were to have won it, they would be chosen over
> Denver.

I don't think so.  If you look at the RPI, I don't think BG could
pass Denver in the RPI even if they played one more game.  However,
BG is within the .01 required for tie-breakers.  So who wins? As I
have it,  Denver wins RPI and teams under consideration (6-7-1 to 3-9).
BG wins Common Opps (5-2 to 3-4... a little unfair as BG played Ohio
State five times and WI once vs. one and five the other way) and
BG wins last 20 (13-5-2 to 11-8-1).  There are no Head to head games.
Since this is 2 to 2 tie, the RPI will be used, hence Denver no matter
what.
On the flip side, I was thinking the opposite way; the WCHA should
get rid of the 3rd place game as it can only hurt, not help.

As I see it, the field is determined, only the seedings are unclear.
IN:  ME, BU, NH, Clarkson, RPI, MI, CC, MN, WI, MSU, LSSU, Denver.

Not IN:  NE, BG.

Of course, Since I'm not on the committee, one never knows.  Tune in at 8:00
tonight.

Gary Hatfield

"RAH! RAH! RAH! for SKI U MAH! RAH! RAH! RAH! RAH!
RAH! for the U of M!"