From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 09:51:46 EST
Yesterday Knickerbocker Arena officials announced Albany will be the site of
1996 NC$$ East Regionals, as reported earlier.  No teams were announced. :-)

At the conference an additional idea was floated: moving the venue for one of
the RPI/Union games to the Knick.  Knick general manager Rick Linio lobbied
Bob Ducatte, RPI athletic director, for the right to host at least one regular
season game.

"Let's talk about that.  We'd love to have your home game against Union next
season," Linio said to Ducatte. "We're going to talk about that," Ducatte said.

Actually, I would think it would be preferably to move the Union game, due to
the miniscule seating capacity at Achilles, but maybe RPI has some other ideas.

Also, Lori Slezak, executive director of the Albany Sports Foundation, again
indicated the Knick was going to bid for the 2000 NC$$ Phinal Phour.  "It's not
time yet to do the bid, but as soon it's time, we're going to get with the
Knick and RPI to make that happen," said Slezak.  "We still have that
committee, Hockey 2000.  I even got a phone call on it this morning and a phone
call last week from people who want to be sure we're going after it."

Actually landing 2000 would require a change in practice for the NC$$.  The
"rotation" would suggest a Mid-East venue for the 2000 games, like Joe Louis
Arena.  But then who would have expected 1999 to be held some 2000 miles from
the closest team, OK Division 1 team.

(The above information has been recklessly pirated from this morning's T-U,
without permission.)
Brian Morris               Nothing to Lose.  Go RPI!