From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 00:21:02 -0500
>We have a statistic for determining best goalie.  It's the
>save percentage.
>
>I will agree that a better team defense will tend to clear
>away the goaltender's rebounds more frequently, and
>drive the opponents out of the slot, thus cutting down on
>more dangerous shots.  But in the absense of any other
>objective number, I'm willing to call the guy with the best
>save percentage the best goalie in the NCAA.

But save percentage has its drawbacks, too. It does not pay any attention
to a goalie's workload. A goaltender who stops 18 of 20 shots will appear to
be better than a goaltie who stops 44 of 50 shots.

My personal favourite statistic for measuring saves and workload is something
called the "Perseverence Rating." It was outlined in The Hockey Compendium by
Klein and Reif. As you will see, it is still mostly dependent on a goalie's
save percentage.

Here's how to figure out the perseverence rating:

SPG := Shots per 60 minutes. SPG = Shots / (Minutes played/60)

((Sv Pct * 100) * 6) + SPG = x

x / 0.6 = Perseverence Rating.

The last calculation is done to put the whole thing on a scale of 1000.

This is what they said a goaltender's rating means:
950+    excellent
940-950 very good
930-940 good
920-930 mediocre
910-920 poor
900-910 very poor
  0-900 horrible

As always, you need a reasonable amount of minutes played to get a realistic
idea of how good a goaltender is.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards        Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr Senators (21-21-3 47pts) (CJHL)
Carleton U., Law IV                   I don't give a damn about being liked,