From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 15:31:24 -0500
Since we are talking about goalies, I figured I'd throw something out here.
There was debate a couple of weeks back about how someone said that BC
goal-tender Greg Taylor was the *best* (cough) in Hockey East. The
justification is great, Taylor plays for a sub-par team, and *would* be
better if not for that.  The comparison I like to draw to that is
Merrimack's Martin Legault.  According to the Hockey East Standings, BC has
a better record than Merrimack, yet Legault is putting up better numbers.
I'll conceed that *some* of the inflation of Taylors numbers is as a result
of the people in front of him, but the same could be said for Legault.  I'm
not going to debate whether of not Merrimack has a better defense than BC.
I just want to look at the numbers, and more importantly save %.  I was
surprised when I saw the HE Stats this week and saw who led HE goal-tenders
in Save %, Martin Legault at .900, which is fabulous considering his team is
7th in the league.  In fact, Legault's numbers as a whole are better, let's
have a look

GOALTENDING (League)
Name            GP      GAA     Record  GA      SVS     PCT
Legault (MC)    16      3.53     4-8-4  54      486     .900
Taylor (BC)     18      4.17     7-9-2  71      496     .875

I believe it was a Boston paper that reported that Taylor was the *best*,
but when debating such a thing, you can't compare Taylor or Legault to like
Herlofsky or Allison, because they are playing for much better squads, but
if you take a look at a "comparative" team, you can get a feel for the
performance.  Whether or not one is better than the other is impossible to
tell 100%, but Legault has performed better, and on a comparative team.

Deron  Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
The University of Maine (26-2-6)  GO BLUE!!
The "Magic" Point Total is 10 and counting!