From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 15:17:17 -0500
>I'm not saying Cronin was lying, however, I have seen how goalies in a
>rotation can get more out of each other.  Last year, Marsh and Allison
>split time rather regularly, and Allison was not having an outstanding
>year.  This year, it is the Allison show, and he is playing superbly.  If
>Marsh and Hirsch deserve any credit for Allison's success, I'd think
>it is more in the area of psychological support.  I don't see how
>either could be pushing Allison by giving performances that he wants
>to match, since he's the only guy who plays.

I think Mike was right on here.  Cronin said that in a different way. There
doesn't appear to be any "open resentment" or anything from Marsh and
Hirsch, and according to Cronin, they give nothing but support to Allison.
Since he is the only guy that plays in "game" situations there is nothing to
compete with, but I personally have been impressed with Marsh in the
"closer" role he's played this year, and I'd be willing to bet that Marsh
has played very well in practice, and that probally helps Allison keep his
focus.  Practice is not the same though.  But it is very interesting that
Cronin would credit those two for Allison's success, and practically forget
about the defense in front of him.  The deep core of defensemen deserve a
lot of credit for Allison's success as well, and everything I've seen from
Allison tells me he realizes that.  It is kinda funny, the defense credits
Allison, and vice versa, very unselfish, it is nice to see.

>Allison may just be a goaltender who plays better as he plays more -
>although he did seem to reach his limit in the RPI tournament when he
>had subpar performances against both Miami and RPI after a long first
>semester.

Allison continues to improve, and will be even better next year.  Blair is a
MUCH better goalie today, then he was even at the middle of this year.
Earlier in the year Allison would start slow, and seemed to give up a "weak"
goal early-on.  Allison's improvements show in Maine's performance.  Allison
was giving up some early goals till he was "warmed up", and for much of the
beginning of the year Maine was playing from behind.  They had to score with
2 seconds left to send their 4th game of the year into OT against NU, they
trailed UNH early, trailed BC, and had all they could do to tie, and trailed
Providence till late in the 3rd.  I think that contributed to Maine's 5 ties
in their first 17 games.  I don't blame Allison for the two losses, 3-2 to
Princeton, and 4-2 to UMA, even though Blair said he was embarassed by how
he played against UMA, his supporting cast just never showed up for those
games.  So in summary, as a "biased-fan", I can tell you that I have more
confidence in Blair today, as opposed to the beginning of the year.  I think
he is a fantastic goalie, and a very pleasant surprise, but like I said I'm
biased.

>Maine also has more good players in street clothes than perhaps anyone
>else in DivI.  In 1992-93, I often heard the joke that Maine could ice
>a second team in HE and have that one gain home ice too.  I recall
>seeing so many extra players that year walking around in Maine sweats
>that it sure seemed as if they had two teams.

Not only Barry Clukey, but all these players were Maine red-shirts as well,
David Lacoture, Eric Fenton, and Garth Snow.  Clukey is not in bad company..

Deron  Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
The University of Maine (26-2-6)  GO BLUE!!
The "Magic" Point Total is 10 and counting!