From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 1995 17:48:56 -0400
Brian Morris writes "who are the freshman goaltenders that
have made their mark so far? ... In fact, other than Blari Allison,
it looks like a disappointing year for goaltenders so far"

It certainly has been interesting in the ECAC, primarily because of
the large number of starters who graduated last year. I think
Jason Elliott of Cornell and Trevor Koenig of Union may be the only
rookies who have stolen points for their team, although SLU's
Clint Owen has put together some strong games as well. The best
ECAC goalie I've seen is Yale's Todd Sullivan - I love the way he
challenges shooters, yet plays his angles well enough to avoid
the kind of pitfalls that Tripp Tracy has at Harvard. Sullivan
is the perfect example of a guy who is "too small" to be a good
goalie - but he proves the critics wrong. James Konte can be
stellar for Princeton, but he lets in a soft goal almost every
game. His backup, Erasmo Saltarelli, may be the best of this
year's freshman in the long haul.

Tim Thomas would be choice for 2nd team ECAC all-star behind
Sullivan. He still relies on his reflexes a little bit too
much and I don't think he's as mentally tough as Sullivan,
but he's been pretty steady behind a mediocre defense.

I guess it's no surprise that Yale and Cornell have good
goalies - don't they always? I think Mike O'Neill was one
of the best college keepers I've ever seen but he didn't
get much credit until he had a bad team in front of him
(his senior year).
        -Geoff Howell
         The Trenton Times
         Drop the Puck