From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 1995 17:32:13 -0400
Friday's Providence Journal had an interesting story (which, of course,
I dumped before sending this message -nice job, eh?) on Brown headed
into this weekend's pasting by Colgate and narrow win over Cornell.
Bob Gaudet mentioned that his team was playing very tired and he was
looking to get some fresh legs into the lineup. Ryan Mulhern was not
scheduled to play against Colgate (took a slapshot off the knee against
Princetonj), the same for Mike Flynn (injured against Princeton).

The story noted that Brown relies on a physical style and counts on
outworking its opponents to win, but that fatigue had seen several
teams turn the table on the Bears recently.

It reminded me of Gaudet's preseason comments regarding last year's
inauspicious finish (losing 5-1 to Harvard and 6-2 to Clarkson at Lake
Placid. Among other things, Gaudet told me "I've got to find a way to
rectify how hard the end of the season is; we have to make sure guys
are in shape."

Any comments from those who saw Brown play this weekend? Does it look
like they are out of gas or on the way there? Did Mulhern/Flynn play
against Colgate?

Personally, I'd like to see Brown get going again. I love watching
Gaudet's team work its butt off and drive other coaches crazy with
its intensity. Never mind the fact that at some point Gaudet has to
win ECAC coach of the year - the guy's been doing it with mirrors for
a couple of years now.
        -Geoff Howell
         The Trenton Times
         Drop the Puck